Thursday, April 29, 2010

NYC Half Marathon!!!


I had so much fun in NYC, but I missed Steve and Ryder so much. As much as I love my family, I hate to be away from Steve and Rydi. Especially in New York, where all we do is shop and eat. 2 of Steve's favorite things to do!!
But, I survived! It was a blast. We got some great shopping days in and ate some wonderful food. What else is there to do in NYC? Andrew decided to fly in and surprise Ashly. It was so much fun! We were very silly together. Why is it that when you get together with your siblings you act like children?
I was semi nervous about the race, because it was forecasted to ran on race day. I partially didn't believe it because the first 4 days we were there were BEAUTIFUL!!! It was heaven.
Well, I should have believed the weather man because boy did it rain! We woke up at 5am the day of the race and it was down pouring. We went to get breakfast, and came back drenched. This was not looking good. By the time we made our way to Central Park it was beyond wet. We bought ponchos at Duane Reade, so that helped, but we definitely couldn't run in them. I was not prepared for all this rain! I had bought sleeves to run in the day before, but other than that I had nothing. No hat, no jacket, no gloves. It was crazy!!! My feet and shoes were soaked before I even ran one step. I was starting to kind of freak out and then the announcer starting talking over the loud speaker. She was trying to get us all pumped up even though it was 45 degrees and pouring. Well, it worked! She said, "It's not the easy days in life that define you, it's the hard ones. And today is definitely a hard one." I took that and got over the rain. I realized I was going to run rain or shine!

I had so much fun running! It was so neat to see so many women all together. The race seemed to fly by and before I knew it I was crossing the finish line. It was such great feeling! After I finished I was waiting with my dad and I watched hundreds of people cross the finish line. I found myself cheering people on and getting emotional watching them achieve their goals. All in all it was a great day!
Here we are going to the airport. We were laughing because you would have thought we were going to prom. The doorman at the hotel got us this white stretch limo instead of 2 taxis. Very fancy way to get to the airport!
P.S. Here are my battle wounds! Because of the rain, my sports bra was soaked and rubbed me raw! Nasty!

22 comments:

brooke said...

Yikes to those sports bra burns...I am in pain looking at them!
That looks like so much fun, and I love that Drew flew out too.
Good Job! I wish I could do that!

Marcie said...

Katie- you are still beautiful, even with your battle wounds. :) What a great accomplishment and how fun to do it in New York- the place that I want to visit most!

Laura Ek said...

When i heard that it rained, I ached for you! Man, that's rough, but seriously awesome! You're so hard core!!! :) What a FUN trip!!

nicole me oh my! said...

Katie! This is the first time I have ever thought to myself maybe I want to run a half marathon? But, you have really got me motivated with this post and the inspirational words! That is such an accomplishment, congrats! I don't think I ever could ...

and obviously I am so jealous of this new york trip. man oh man...

Jeff and Kandis said...

Ouch!! I'm proud of you, what a great story!

Chandra said...

Holy Moly Woman! You are my inspiration! I can barely run a 5k! What an accomplishment! You rock!!!

the waites said...

where to begin... first congrats on the 1/2 my dear! That has got to be the coolest ever running in NY. 2nd the pic of you soaking wet is Ryder to the "T". And Lastly I was to busy checking out your eyelashes, cute lip color and knock out nails to notice your wounds.Fun post! MAkes me anxious to get this mom butt in shape:)

sarah marie. said...

you are so pretty. and so sorry about those marks! ouch. i'm so proud of you for doing a half marathon! that is amazing. and so much fun. minus the running part for me.

Nate and Nicole said...

Way to go! I would've definitely used the rain as an excuse to bail :).

Brittny said...

Katie!!! You are awesome! I love what the announcer said about the hard moments defining you, that would have got me pumped too. Someday I will run a half marathon... you are my inspiration! Love you!

Darla said...

Katie!! That's so awesome you did the half in NYC!! Geof. and I wanna do the full but might wait a few years. So fun!! Congrats, to you!

Lisa said...

Katie! You are amazing! One of my goals for the year is to do a half marathon... of course I have yet to go on one run, but I still have some months left, right?

Anyway, I think it is awesome that you did the race, and in New York no less. How fun!

Jessica F. said...

You are amazing! I am totally impressed with anyone that can run. I basically run into 7-11 to grab a diet coke and that is it.
What a fun trip!

Anonymous said...

Congrats... I'm so impressed by people that run because I honestly just can't do it. So fun to see you at Target... hopefully we can get together soon:)

Meiken said...

Can me pregnant, but I totally teared up through this post. Love the announcer and that you accomplished your goal! Congrats!!! And btw...you look gorgeous.

camille said...

YAY!!! I think you are so amazing to run that in the rain like you did. You seriously rocked it out and that is AWESOME! I know what you mean about being with siblings. Me and mine act like idiots together and it's sooo fun! :)

I am with Meiken...you look seriously stunning! I thought that last night at Costco when we saw you, too. Just soooo pretty, Katie! Lucky! OH, and love your nails in this last shot, too. Can't wait to do that!! xoxo

The Zeediks said...

Katie! We didn't discuss this!! AMAZING! Seriously inspirational.. Never considered the 1/2 till now. I feel like I wouldn't even want to do it if it weren't raining now! Great pics. Loving your hair in all of them! Straight it is so long! xo

The Zeediks said...

REally loving your mom's hair too!

shannon davis said...

I can't get over those sports bra lines. bless your sweet shoulders. So proud of you for this. I wish I could do it. so awesome

Alicia said...

cute blog! love the pics you are soooo gorgeous!!

Shea McGee said...

So proud of you!

Tarah said...

awesome!! did your battle wounds leave scars! ouch. You look gorgeous even still. Way to go!